At the 2018 Los Angeles Auto Show, Kia Motors introduced a better way to roll with the world debut of the all-new 2020 Soul, a completely new yet familiar version of Kia’s beloved and award-winning urban runabout. Taking everything that helped popularize the quirky, unconventionally styled subcompact, Kia Motors poured more of its soul into nearly every inch of the vehicle, resulting in a third-generation that continues to transcend unmatched style, peppy performance, thrilling technology, and urban practicality.
“The Soul has been a massive success since its introduction to the U.S. market, blowing its (now defunct) rivals out of the water and establishing itself as an automotive icon with its fun-loving character and eccentric style,” said Orth Hedrick, executive director of Car Planning and Telematics. “Even with an entirely new generation of competitors now crowding the marketplace, we are confident the all-new Soul will once again prove to be a tough contender given its unparalleled style and impressive level of invigorating technology and customization options.”
Proving the point that “there is a Soul for everyone,” the normally aspirated and optionally turbocharged Soul is available in six trim levels – LX, S, X-Line, GT-Line, EX, “EX Designer Collection” – plus the all-new Soul EV (outlined in a separate press release). Pricing will be available closer to expected on-sale date in the first half of next year.
Design Beyond the Box
While the Soul stays true to its design heritage with its boxy silhouette and confident stance, its newly sculpted lines, cutting-edge details, and technical lighting elements present the most futuristic, youthful and innovative Soul yet.
New exterior design highlights include:
- High-tech front headlight configuration with connecting trim piece accentuates width
- Slim-design daytime running lights and turn signal indicators
- Larger front grille with unique two-tone treatment
- Front fenders add volume to clean and smooth surfaces
- Roof rack mounting points
- Three-dimensional wraparound boomerang-shaped taillights
- C-pillars designed to resemble airplane wings
- Signature vertical rear window and “Island” stay true to Soul design heritage
- Distinctive C-pillar garnish features new “Soul” graphic
Music has been an overarching theme for Soul since its inception, and it’s no different this round. For the third generation, designers and engineers turned up the volume on the interior. Drawing inspiration from the “emotional visualization of sound,” the Soul’s interior space is adorned with shapes and textures that reflect acoustic inspired elements to create a full sensory experience.
Interior design highlights include:
- Available sound mood lighting emits soft light from the center door panels and a unique 3D pattern surface on the upper door panels, with the ability to synchronize to the beat of the music playing through the Soul’s audio system
- Sound mood lighting features a rainbow of customizable colors
- Available wireless charging
- Available dual auto climate control
- Soul’s signature tweeter speakers
Next-Gen Infotainment and Kia Drive Wise Technologies
Recognizing that one’s car is an integral part of their social life, the 2020 Soul continues to surprise and delight with next-gen infotainment and technology.
- Available 10.25-inch HD color touchscreen with split screen function (standard on EX, GT-Line with turbo engine) and rear view monitor and parking guidance
- Android Auto and Apple Car Play
- Bluetooth Multi-Connection – two Bluetooth devices can be connected at the same time
- Available 8-inch Head-Up Display
- Available 640-watt Harman Kardon audio system – twice the wattage of current Soul – with an amplifier and 10 speakers including tuned center speaker and subwoofer
Like other newly designed Kia models, the all-new Soul offers a suite of available Kia Drive Wise features including:
- Forward Collision Avoidance (FCA) / FCA Pedestrian type
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA)
- Lane Changing Assist (LCA)
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW)
- Blind-spot Collision Warning (BCW)
- Rear Cross Collision Warning (RCW)
- Smart Cruise Control (SCC)
- High Beam Assist (HBA)
What Drives You?
Soul enhances its fun-to-drive personality and versatility with different drivetrain combinations. From the all-new 2019 Forte, Kia’s Intelligent Variable Transmission (IVT) is now available on the 2020 Soul for those who require efficiency with their zip. Designed and built in-house, the IVT is Kia’s unique version of a continuously variable transmission that provides an engaging driving experience. 2.0-liter Nu four-cylinder engine + 6-speed manual transmission or Intelligent Variable Transmission (IVT) with 147 horsepower, 132 lb-ft of torque. For those that require even more zip, a turbocharged option is also available as a 1.6-liter twin-scroll turbocharged I-4 GDI engine + 7-speed dual-clutch transmission 201 horsepower, 195 lb-ft of torque. With the Soul’s all-new platform comes a more refined experience behind the wheel and on the road. Engineers designed suspension geometry to help quell noise, vibration and harshness while also improving handling and comfort in a variety of conditions.
A Soul for Everyone
The 2020 Soul can be outfitted to convey one’s unique sense of style through a variety of customizable options. Aside from the all-new Soul EV that debuts alongside its gasoline counterpart, the Soul offers even more flexibility according to different lifestyles.