Kia has long been known for practical, affordable cars, and in the last few years has earned top marks for safety, too. Now, with the 2018 Kia Stinger concept car, Kia is making everyone rethink what the company stands for. The sports sedan was revealed in January at the 2017 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.
A Sports Sedan That Means Business
The 2018 Kia Stinger is a serious sports car that is poised to take its competitors by storm. Its aggressive styling blew the audiences at the auto show away; this concept car was built to truly out-perform its competitors in every department.
- Engine: Choose between a turbo, 255-horsepower 4-cylinder or a twin-turbo, 365-horsepower 6-cylinder.
- Transmission: Kia is only offering an 8-speed automatic transmission, but paddle shifters will give speed addicts the thrill of running through the gears themselves.
- Drive: Choose between rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive.
- Wheelbase: A longer and wider wheelbase offers more leg room and trunk space than any of the Stinger’s competitors.
- Infotainment: In addition to the 720-watt audio system, the Stinger offers Bluetooth connectivity, steering wheel-mounted controls and a windshield-reflected display, supporting hands-free focus on the road in every possible way.
- Safety: The Stinger is as much about safety as it is about performance. The sports sedan will feature all of Kia’s highest-rated systems, such as lane departure and front collision warnings, and automated braking to actively prevent collisions.
Breaking the Mold
For years, Kia’s name has been synonymous with practicality and affordability, and in more recent years, safety. Based on these trends, no one would have anticipated that a serious Kia sports car would join the lineup, but with the 2018 Stinger, Kia is demonstrating that the name of the game all along has been innovation. Its competitors are never going to know what stung them.
The 2018 Stinger will be out in late 2017.